Subject: Reunion 2007
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 03:29:18 EST

In a conversation with CDR. J. K. Deuel on January  29, he asked me to 
forward my immediate concerns about the upcoming reunion for  the USS Lafayette, 
"The Head of The Class"(a great phrase coined by CDR. Deuel)  The Commander's 
vast knowledge of the business world will enable us to have a  greater, more 
productive reunion. Jamie is going to try to make heads or tails  of my concerns, 
and input from you Herb and you Herb and of course you  Ernie will be greatly 
appreciated. Jamie has an idea where we will be able  to have the reunion 
managed or promoted by a management firm for no  cost.
 
    If this does come about, it would mean a lot  less work for those of us 
who care enough about the old girl to make it a  reunion to remember. I don't 
know about you guys but I am feeling older with  each new Great Grandchild. I 
want us to approach each and everyone of the  reunions as if it might be our 
last and want it to be better than the last one  but not as good as the next.
 
    Here are my concerns for the Charleston area if  this is where we are 
going to hold the 2007 reunion:
 
    1. The month or time of year preferred. Summer is  humid and the prices 
on lodging increase drastically. October seems to be a good  month since it's 
not too hot/cold and the winter prices are in effect.
    2. The length of the reunion. Is three days enough?  Is five days too 
long?
    3. Should the reunion be held mid week or overlap a  weekend?
    4. Lodging. We won't have the luxury of a huge  Hotel like we did in 
Miss. I have found two hotels next to each other on Mt.  Pleasant with the same 
management who are willing to work with us on the rate.  DO NOT EXPECT THE RATE 
WE RECEIVED IN MISS.
    5. How do we find crew members who have not  registered or do not even 
know about the web site? We need to reach out and find  the missing crew members 
if for nothing else to let them know the association is  here and we are 
having a reunion.
    6. If and only if we do not get a management  company to take the lead, I 
don't mind calling various businesses in the area  and try to raise funds for 
the reunion by selling advertising in a program for  the reunion. We can ask 
for services or sell ad space.
    7. Music or no music at the last night banquet.  Live or DJ?
    8. I think incorporating the "Head of Class" or  "Head of the Class" logo 
in our retail sale items will go over great.
 
    I know I will think of more, but these are some to  start with. If you 
all want me to go ahead and do as much as I can since I do  live in pretty close 
proximity to Charleston, I will continue. I do not want to  step on any toes. 
It seems I have lost Bill Knight for a while anyway, I do have  an 
understanding wife though and she's better looking then Knight.
 
Fair Winds Shipmates,
 
John Dixon