Subject: RE: Reunion 2007
From: "Herb Wise" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Cc: "James K Deuel" <[email-masked]>, "Bill Fraser" <[email-masked]>, "Ernie Lester" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:08:50 -0600

John,
 
Thanks for the update. I also feel the we need to approach each reunion
with the thought that it may be our last. It will be the last for some
of our shipmates and it needs to be a special time for everyone. About
your concerns:
 
*	October is a good time for the reunion in Charleston. I'm asking
for other board members to comment on this with this e-mail.
*	I believe that 3-4 days would be good. There's much to do in
Charleston. Again I need board member comments.
*	I believe that we need to include a weekend day in the schedule.
*	Roger, the Hotel situation. Do the best you can.
*	Lost Shipmates?  First we need to inform all that we have
registered on the website and work toward a complete list. Jamie is
working on getting a list of all who served onboard. I also have an idea
of picking division leaders to start a list of all that served in each
division. I'll start on this as a trail with my old division "RC".
*	A Management Company to take the lead! Boy, that sounds to good.
If this doesn't happen, we all should pursue trying to raising funds
with businesses we are acquainted with or have ties with the Lafayette.
Sounds like another committee to me.
*	Music would be nice; I'll await comments from the remainder of
the board.
*	I like the logo " Head of the Class" 
 
John, as you probably know, we need to get something established quickly
on the site and date so we can start the process of informing everyone.
To save money, we want to combine this notice with a request for dues.
 
Herb Wise
 
-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 2:29 AM
To: [email-masked]; Herb Wise; [email-masked];
[email-masked]
Subject: Reunion 2007
 
    In a conversation with CDR. J. K. Deuel on January 29, he asked me
to forward my immediate concerns about the upcoming reunion for the USS
Lafayette, "The Head of The Class"(a great phrase coined by CDR. Deuel)
The Commander's vast knowledge of the business world will enable us to
have a greater, more productive reunion. Jamie is going to try to make
heads or tails of my concerns, and input from you Herb and you Herb and
of course you Ernie will be greatly appreciated. Jamie has an idea where
we will be able to have the reunion managed or promoted by a management
firm for no cost.
 
    If this does come about, it would mean a lot less work for those of
us who care enough about the old girl to make it a reunion to remember.
I don't know about you guys but I am feeling older with each new Great
Grandchild. I want us to approach each and everyone of the reunions as
if it might be our last and want it to be better than the last one but
not as good as the next.
 
    Here are my concerns for the Charleston area if this is where we are
going to hold the 2007 reunion:
 
    1. The month or time of year preferred. Summer is humid and the
prices on lodging increase drastically. October seems to be a good month
since it's not too hot/cold and the winter prices are in effect.
    2. The length of the reunion. Is three days enough? Is five days too
long?
    3. Should the reunion be held mid week or overlap a weekend?
    4. Lodging. We won't have the luxury of a huge Hotel like we did in
Miss. I have found two hotels next to each other on Mt. Pleasant with
the same management who are willing to work with us on the rate. DO NOT
EXPECT THE RATE WE RECEIVED IN MISS.
    5. How do we find crew members who have not registered or do not
even know about the web site? We need to reach out and find the missing
crew members if for nothing else to let them know the association is
here and we are having a reunion.
    6. If and only if we do not get a management company to take the
lead, I don't mind calling various businesses in the area and try to
raise funds for the reunion by selling advertising in a program for the
reunion. We can ask for services or sell ad space.
    7. Music or no music at the last night banquet. Live or DJ?
    8. I think incorporating the "Head of Class" or "Head of the Class"
logo in our retail sale items will go over great.
 
    I know I will think of more, but these are some to start with. If
you all want me to go ahead and do as much as I can since I do live in
pretty close proximity to Charleston, I will continue. I do not want to
step on any toes. It seems I have lost Bill Knight for a while anyway, I
do have an understanding wife though and she's better looking then
Knight.
 
Fair Winds Shipmates,
 
John Dixon